How to apply for a TRN
Why do I need this?
Everyone needs a TRN to register for an NPQ. You do not need to be a teacher to get a TRN.
Request a TRN by email
If you’ve never been given a TRN, email the Teaching Regulation Agency at email@example.com. The team aim to respond to valid email requests within 5 working days.
You’ll need to provide contact details and proof of ID to receive a TRN.
Use the free Galaxkey secure email platform to ensure your identification documents are protected. Full instructions can be found below.
Register to send a secure email
To send a secure email to the department, please go to the Galaxkey site: https://manager.galaxkey.com/services/registerme (opens in a new tab)
Enter the email address that you wish to sign up with and complete the registration process.
You’ll be emailed to activate your account once you have completed this step. You can then send secure emails to the Teaching Regulation Agency using Galaxkey.
Send your ID documents securely
Follow these steps to send your documents through Galaxkey:
- Select ‘Compose’ to create a new secure email.
- Enter ’firstname.lastname@example.org’ as the recipient.
- Enter ‘Undertaking an NPQ, do not have a TRN and require a number to be issued’ as the subject line.
- Include the following information in your email:
- your full legal name
- your date of birth
- an email address for the team to reply to
- Attach a scanned copy or photo of one of the following types of ID:
- driving license (full or provisional)
- certificate of residence
- birth certificate
Follow the guidance on screen to make sure you send the correct file size.
Find information about how the Teaching Regulation Agency processes your data on the teacher self-service site (opens in a new tab).
What happens next
The Teaching Regulation Agency will use the information you send to create a permanent record and your TRN.
Your ID documents will be deleted once your request is processed.